- 8 medium ripe red Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 large Vidalia onion (white sweet onion)
- 1 - 2 medium jalapeños or Serrano peppers
- 1 1/2 limes, juiced (fresh limes are best (may substitute with lime juice)
- 3/4 cup washed chopped cilantro (about one bush)
- 1 large avocado (optional)
- 1 mango (optional but adds a nice balance to the flavors)
- 1 tablespoon Tico Rico habanero or Serrano Lime hot sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tsp sea salt
Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out seeds. That’s our secret tip for this award-winning recipe.
Chop tomatoes to small cube sizes and place them in a large bowl. Peel skin from the onion, cut bottom, and coarsely chopped medium to small. Add to bowl with the tomatoes.
Thoroughly rinse cilantro and chop off stems. Finely chop and add to tomatoes and onions. Chop jalapeños (remove veins and seeds for less heat). Add to bowl with tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. Stir vegetables until thoroughly blended.
You should see a good balance of tomatoes and onions. Add more if needed. Cut avocados and mangos into small cubes and add to the bowl. Gently stir mixing all together trying not to mash the avocados.
In a small bowl add lime juice, granulated garlic, black pepper, salt, and Tico Rico sauce. Wisk together, pour mixture over the vegetables and stir together. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Serve with your favorite tortillas chips. Enjoy!